Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Anonymous Assessment

At the first grade conference one of the presenters told us about a great way to monitor for understanding without embarrassing any students who don't know the answer and in a way that lets everyone who does know the answer share.  I thought this was great for me since I am always checking to see if my students can remember a concept or vocabulary word that was taught to them.  I like to call on the students who frequently don't pay attention, but I also don't like to single them out in front of the others.  Likewise, I have a lot of students who want recognition for remembering something, but I can't ackowledge all of them. 

To do this, you assign a secret number to each child.  I gave mine a label with a number on it that they keep in their binders in case they forget.  I just numbered the seats in order around the room, so I would know each number myself.  When a question is posed, each student gets a post it and puts their number in the corner before writing their answer.  Then they come and stick it on the board.  I can easily determine who has it and who doesn't.  In the future I will make a grid board with the spaces already labeled by numbers so that students can learn to put their post it in a designated spot, rather than remember their number. 

I used this activity with our math program and we discussed each one of the incorrect answers on the post its.  It was a very good lesson even for those that already understood, because they could explain why other answers were incorrect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment